Late to the Dance

Life really did get better at 40. Not perfect, but better. Great job, bad, bad hair, good TV, bad books, not enough exercise, bad doctor, a few good flicks, loser in the "relationship" department, good visits with Erin... See, lots of good stuff but too many bad things that I still have to work out. So this is me, working it out.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Oy Vey - is that how it is spelled?

Jennifer has stopped checking my face for new disease outbreaks. Maybe I am finally adjusting to Arizona. My lungs have been clear for WEEKS now.

Subbing high school went okay - and now I have a contract to teach there next year. The students make me a little crazy and the classroom situation has me frustrated - it'a a big computer lab - but it's a great experience and it will give me time to get my professional credentials in order. It's summer break and I have to find a money-earning position right away. Fingers are crossed.

If you've been following Jen's posts you know that she has gotten quite serious with her work-outs. So I decided I had better step it up also. I had fallen off the exercise wagon during the yearbook and graduation video period because I was woprking so late every night. But I don't have that excuse now. We went to watch Maggie run (and swim and bike) her way through a triathlon and that inspired me! Inspired me to NEVER become a triathlete. Seriously - they work too hard. In direct sunlight. But it did remind me that I have a long way to go. Some days the journey seems impossible. I have that negative voice that says I'll do okay for a month and then backslide. That I will always be fat. After all, I've been fat for half of my life.

At the start of the week I could run about 3 minutes at a time on the treadmill. Run three, rest 6. Or something like that. Then I pushed it to run 6, rest 4. Yesterday I ran 7, rested 3, ran 7, rested 3, ran 7 rested 3. And then a nice long cool down. Today I decided to just keep running as long as the skinny girl next to me was running. That didn't quite work out, but I did walk 3, run 14, rest 2, run 6, rest 2, run 3, and then a nice long cool down. So, 14 was a lot for me...

My butt hurts, my thighs are burning, and my knees are soooooo not happy with me. And my blood sugar isn't really responding the way I would hope it would. But I am sick and tired of hating this body so I either learn to love it (HAH) or I change it.

Next year I am going to be teaching Yearbook and Journalism/Newspaper Production. Wouldn't it be cool if I had ever done those things in high school? I'm also going to be teaching Basic Computer and Advanced Computer Skills. Word, Excel, Power Point - that sort of thing. And maybe a Creative Writing class. Or an Art Appreciation class. Apparently I am going to be teaching all of the elective type courses since I am not certified to teach a core class. I take my English exam on June 10th but since they couldn't count on me becoming "Highly Qualified" in English before the school year started, they can't give me a regular class. I sound bitter - but I'm not. I'm actually really excited about most of those classes. I just wish my students were going to be excited!

Okay - dinner is on the table. And it smells FANTASTIC.

One last thing - I am so excited about the upcoming trip to CA - to see everyone, to see ERIN!

Ciao

4 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger Jen said...

This generation is gonna be able to take on the younger generation in our own little family triathalon!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

Are there younger-generation triathletes in this family?

The show (Cirque du Soleil's Beatle's review "Love") was AWESOME. Maggie and I BOTH got choked up during the beginning of the show (neither of us really knows why this happened). It was the best show I have ever seen. Music, dancing, acrobatics, theatrics... the whole deal.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I was thinking of Alyssa, Rachel, maybe the Gary Penman kids.....

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

They, like us, won't be interested in such things until they are OUR age, at which time we will be MOM's age. So I don't think we will beat them in a triathlon (Alyssa being the one exception since she is close to your age).

We were at the pool yesterday, and I think a lot of the Cirque du Soleil guys hang out there. I thought it was a six-pack convention (not Budweiser and Miller). I am not sure if it makes me want to work out harder and diet smarter, or if it makes me want to dress in more layers. It's hard to dress in layers in Phoenix. Besides, guys that dress in layers usual get manicures and stuff like that. And contrary to my daughter's (Jessica) opinion, I am NOT a metrosexual.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home