Late to the Dance

Life really did get better at 40. Not perfect, but better. Great job, bad, bad hair, good TV, bad books, not enough exercise, bad doctor, a few good flicks, loser in the "relationship" department, good visits with Erin... See, lots of good stuff but too many bad things that I still have to work out. So this is me, working it out.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Tampa - Life in the Humid Lane

Ah, Florida. Hot, humid, and flat. I don't think I could live in a place without mountains - or at least big hills. Horizons without 'em just ain't natural.

I think my traveling days may have to end soon. Every time I hit the road, I get sick. Sometimes I just feel lousy, but other times it is full-on illness. This time it's a cold. Fortunately, I'm here with a Certified Instructor - he's doing all the speaking. I was alone for the first day in Ft. Myers and by the time I was done my voice was hoarse and cracking. Very attractive. And I know it is because I don't take care of myself so my body just shuts down on me when faced with travel and bad eating and messed-up sleep schedules (have I told you how much I hate getting up early on the east coast?).

Now, before you jump in, Bruce, and tell me how much better it would be for me in Arizona, you should know that I have been doing my research - that path to a teaching credential that was so attractive to me? Doesn't really exist. Meaning, it exists in theory, but no schools are actually willing to hire someone under that program. So that plan appears to be out. Plus, Jen seems to have realized how much money she actually makes up there in Dubois...

I expressed interest in a different position at the NNA - the department manager interviewed me but I could tell that he wants someone with REAL experience in the exact job - not someone with just a good brain. I understand why he feels the way he does - I just don't know what to do about MY situation. I like my benefits there. I like my 401K and medical and all the time off I have accrued - but seriously, when I am on the road I start to believe that I am cancer-ridden, diseased, and on the brink of death. And there are NOT many positions I would be interested in at the NNA. And I don't know how much credence to put into the rumours of lay-offs and the hints that they are trying to phase out live seminars (apparently they want to move to webinars). It could all just be talk.

I could be all talk.

I probably am all talk.

Maybe I just need more prozac.

I'm going to a tea house lunch type o' thing tomorrow with Ya-Lei and Nicole. That will be very, very nice. But it will remind me how little I like my current co-workers. Well, most of them. Some are good peeps. But there isn't a Nicole or Ya-Lei among them.

9 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

What did teaching have to do with Arizona? Did I miss something?

Andrea, we'll expand the house. We'll move out into the middle of no-where and build a large compound, just like we have always wanted. I hear there is some land coming onto the market in Colorado City, AZ.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

When Jen was down, I did some research on getting a teaching credential in AZ. AZ has a program for mid-career changers - you teach and earn your degree/credential at the same time. I got very excited and vowed to move to AZ with Jen. Only... Program may exist, it just isn't put to use. I thought a growing population such as AZ's population would NEED teachers desperately. I was wrong.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Mom hates the idea of living in that heat anyway. I got kind of excited by the cheap rent on houses WITH pools... But cheap rent won't sway Mom. It would have to be dirt cheap. She won't be able to land a sweet gig like she has at the Getty.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

Look, I know this is going to come off a little harsh, but isn't time that mom finally grew up and got a place of her own? She needs to take control of her life. You can't keep coddling her. If you continue to clothe her, feed her and house her, she will never be able to stand on her own two feet.

Or, put her in a suitcase and drive out here. Once she is here she won't be able to do anythign about it.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

More like she feeds me... I clothe myself and we split the rent. She wants to stay at the Getty for three more years.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

Why three more years? A big retirement package?

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

If she stays three more years then she'll have complete medical for the rest of her life and she'll have a better retirement amount...

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Jen said...

will she see for three more years? Sorry I am late in the converation, but my DSL was on the fritz.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I doubt it. She gets worse every day. But she thinks she can keep compensating. I don't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home