Late to the Dance

Life really did get better at 40. Not perfect, but better. Great job, bad, bad hair, good TV, bad books, not enough exercise, bad doctor, a few good flicks, loser in the "relationship" department, good visits with Erin... See, lots of good stuff but too many bad things that I still have to work out. So this is me, working it out.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Really, really late to the dance...

Way back in January of 2006 I posted that I was going to sign up for ballroom dance classes. I didn't. I was on the road too much - it just didn't make sense. Tuesday I had a half hour lesson. Today I had my third lesson. I'm absolutely as bad as I feared I would be. But I'm so happy that I am taking the classes. If I had a home I would be taking out a second mortgage to fund these lessons. As it is, I will most likely start prostituting myself on street corners - oh, no, that won't work. I guess I really do have to get a part time job. Weekends. Any suggestions?

So far I have learned the basic steps to the Foxtrot, Waltz, Rumba, Swing, Arizona Two Step (which my instructor renamed the Manhattan Shuffle when I expressed my distaste for country music) and the Cha Cha Cha. He's mixing in some turns and he's definitely making me sweat.

He? Joshua Smith. He's a great teacher. A little wacky but entertaining, funny, and talented. He wasn't supposed to be my teacher - someone messed up the schedule the first day I went in - so they called him and he raced down to the studio to cover (he's engaged to the owner's daughter - another instructor - so I guess he is obligated to pick up the slack) and I ended up with a great instructor. Supposedly he is ranked in the top one and half percent of all the Fred Astaire Studio instructors. Jokes on him - he's stuck with ME. For four more lessons anyway...

As nice as he is, I am ridiculously nervous at each lesson. I perspire (sweat, can't lie), I'm fat, I'm uncoordinated. And he makes me almost believe that I am making progress.

Anywho - school is going along just fine. I am working part time this summer but it will be back to full time in August (thank goodness - cause I need money and Jen needs me to make money. I have requested a whole bunch of software for the classroom and I think they are going to get it. Which is crazy. So I'll be teaching Microsoft Office and Newspaper and Yearbook and Graphic Design. Thanks to Montgomery/Cobb (Creative) for giving me the little knowledge I have so I can work through these classes... In the meantime, I spend my days working on a re-do of the school website. Which is pretty funny. I know nothing about web design - I am making it all up as I go.

Okay - gym is going to close and I still need to go work out. Ciao.

6 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

MAN! Are we Penman's (and McFeely's) a bunch of sour-pusses or WHAT?

Andrea... Re-write that post on a more upbeat, less self-deprecating, happier outlook!

I have an in-grown hair on my face that looks like I have a third eyeball under the skin on my jawline - AND YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT FROM HOW FRIGGIN' HAPPY I AM ALL DAY LONG.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

It sounds like you are having a great time. David and I took some dance classes at Cypress College years ago and it was fun. I, too, was nervous because we changed partners several times during the class, and what was in my head never seemed to come out my feet. Oh well...enjoy yourself anyway. I have a saying on my wall, "Work as if you don't need the money, Love as if you've never been hurt and Dance as if no one is watching".

Have fun, we miss you,
Donna

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Bruce,

Did you read the part where I say I'm having fun? That I really like my teacher? That my job is going well?

I'm glad I'm taking the lessons - but that doesn't change the fact that they are very expensive (and I am not in a position to spend this kind of money on myself just yet) and that I have no natural dancing ability and that I am overweight. And that I am gross and sweaty?


Anyway, ask Jen - I dance around like a dork with a big smile on my face. I dance around the house and I dance around when I am out walking.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Hi Donna!

I am having a great time - its so much fun it actually motivates me to go to the gym even more so I can get into better shape for the dancing. I live in fear of the day my teacher makes me dance with someone else! He is patient and funny (and a little hot - nicely muscled arms) - and he is used to me taking the wrong steps. I have a total of five private lessons with him (aside from my two intro lessons I had on Tuesday and Wednesday) and then I have to start attending group lessons - at which point I'll probably end up dancing with a woman! Maybe not - I have no idea how many men take these classes.

Are you guys going to be home on the Thursday night/Friday right after the 4th of July? I'm driving into CA for a conference and thought I might come in a day or two early and drop in to see you guys?

Andrea

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Andrea is not a dancing dork. She is so very happy to be taking these lessons. And she likes her instructor, he puts her at ease.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Bruce Penman said...

Well EXCUUUUUUUSE ME!

So now I AM THE SOUR-PUSS.

I guess I read your post all wrong after all.

Maybe I should be medicated. Well, more medicated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home