Late to the Dance

Life really did get better at 40. Not perfect, but better. Great job, bad, bad hair, good TV, bad books, not enough exercise, bad doctor, a few good flicks, loser in the "relationship" department, good visits with Erin... See, lots of good stuff but too many bad things that I still have to work out. So this is me, working it out.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fuzzy Headed

I'm back from a week in San Diego where I learned all about helping kids in the academic middle achieve their potential and make it into college. Or something like that. My head is full and fuzzy. The conference was a day too long but still interesting.

It was great seeing friends - first in LA and then Kecia down in San Diego. I still feel more comfortable on CA freeways than Phoenix freeways. Now if folks in Phoenix would start using turn signals, I would probably start feeling a bit more at ease...

I put on weight in San Diego. It seemed like all I did was eat. I tried to be good - walked two miles every morning, ate eggs for breakfast, a salad for lunch, but it would all fall apart at dinner. Every restaurant puts warm bread on the table! I'm NOT superhuman - don't tempt me like that! I did stick to strawberries when everyone around me ordered dessert. Okay, so one time I ate the strawberries drenched in whipped cream. Ooooooh, and uh, there was Monday night at the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Yeah. Chips and salsa and Margaritas. And freshly made tortillas for the chili verde (best tortillas I've ever had - no contest). Hmm. That night alone might account for the extra poundage I am currently sporting. But man oh man - hot, light, thick - those tortillas were dreamy. I had two. They served them with butter - but I refrained - I just filled them with the chili. No dessert in Old Town. But I did follow up my Margaritas with a couple of shots of tequila. My only night of drinking during the entire trip. Except for a glass or two of wine. My other bad day/night was Wednesday night. Yeah. Patty melt and fries. Very kindly, Tony ate about two thirds of my fries so I didn't eat them all.

Speaking of Tony and Kecia, they are buying a new place down the street from their current home (and directly across the street from Tony's mom and stepfather). The house is larger than their current one, but it's not the big draw. The property is. It's like a wildlife refuge or a park is hidden in back. It's HUGE. It just keeps on going (I was literally shocked that a property of that size exists in the middle of the neighborhood). It makes me want to throw a really really big picnic. But since they are the only people I know down there, I wouldn't really have anyone to invite to the picnic to fill up the space. Oh well. I hope they get the place (sale is somewhat contingent on them finding a buyer for their house and the market is very very bad right now). Hey, they could do Shakespeare plays down there. Or any pastoral type of thing.

I got home after Jen had left for Dubois. The dogs were a little frantic - not for ME but for some assurance that Jen will be back... Cider can't stop talking and Boo needs a lot of attention (or so I assume since she keeps slipping her head under my hand or arm). I took them out for a walk tonight and they seemed to poop out kind of early. But I yelled at them and told 'em to quit their bellyaching and pick up the pace. Man - 102 degrees and they go all poodle on me. I guess that's what the choke chain collar is for, right Jen?

(Just kidding, Jen, I did not abuse them - but they were wimpy).

Hmm. Cate is going to be here in 6.5 hours. Or less. Maybe I should wrap this up.

Ballroom dancing class on Monday. YAY! Although, with my extra weight, I'll probably be gross and sweaty. I'll hit his stomach with mine and he'll say "belly bop" again and I'll want to die of humiliation AND I'll have forgotten the dance steps. So yeah, excited for the class. I pay MONEY for this mortification. Oh, I get it now - dance class is my version of a hairshirt or flagellation. Wow. I must have REALLY done something wrong.

1 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

Glad you had a good time on your trip, sorry we didn't get to see you. You'll lose the weight, being away seems to change your body, not drinking as much water, being away from a bathroom, etc. You'll be back to normal in no time.
Love, Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home